Customer Service Scorecard: Dominos Pizza


Were taste the only factor, Domino's would likely be our recommended delivery chain. But recent experience suggests that Domino's has neglected a successful business' most important ingredient: customer service.
Recently armed with a Domino's coupon for take-out, I jumped on to dominos.com, placed my order, entered the discount code, and paid with my credit card number. Piece of cake. Well, maybe not. The pizza was ready when I arrived but the shift manager, Brian, wouldn't to give it to me. Apparently, I was expected to harness my psychic powers and know in advance that I needed my credit card to confirm I was the same person who placed the order. As it happened, I simply forgot to put my credit card back in my wallet after placing the order.
To no effect, I mentioned that I was already in their computer from many previous delivery orders and could also verify my identity with a driver's license. But as if I was a criminal who hacked another man's online food order and conspired to abscond with his $5.99 large pepperoni, none of that was sufficient. As I was to discover, picking up an airline ticket is not the only situation in which producing one's MasterCard is mandatory to do business. What's next: a patdown? I asked Brian if he had the ability to make an exception. He said he did but would not. Instead, I was encouraged to drive back home and get the card. That would have meant two trips and 45 minutes of total drive time in snowy weather. I opted not to.
The higher, meta-purpose of most businesses is to make life easier. It just so happens that Domino's does it through the vehicle of a ready-made meal. However, if this location is any example, their managers are indifferent bureaucrats rather than welcoming service providers. Customer service like this can quickly undermine the millions of dollars that went into Domino's new recipe and subsequent advertising campaign. It's a powerful reminder that earning a customer takes time and money. And losing one can happen in an instant. 

From the Consumer Insight scale of A-F, Domino's customer service gets a resounding F. As always, should future experience prove otherwise, an update will be posted. Until then...Spend smart!