Fear Destroys Everything Good



And what I wanted you to know
Before you turned around
And walked out of my life
Is that it's okay to love someone. 

I'm not saying that there isn't risk.
I'm saying that not everyone you love
Is going to use it as an opportunity
To exploit you.

You pushed me away
For fear that I would leave you
Or, worse yet, 
That I would accept you.

Now, you stand victorious but alone,
Having fulfilled the very 
Abandonment Prophesy
That you so dreaded.
 
I cherished you
And that meant nothing.
I am the ally
You refashioned into a problem.
And now your nemesis misses you.
 
To be sure,
It's not the grand stuff
Of an epic love story that I miss.
It was the first time you held my hand.
It was seeing you swim out into the lake.
 It was watching you paint.
It was how you always asked 
What I was going to do tomorrow.
It was how that question challenged me 
To do something that mattered.
It was how you refused to wash the sheets 
When I was gone
Because my cologne was still on them.
It was how the inspiration of your presence in my life
Made me want to be a better man.

You're sorry that you hurt me
But I'm not the only one who lost.
We were both cheated of happiness
And it ripped apart every beautiful
possibility. 

You once told me that
Fear destroys everything good in your life.
How can I forgive you
For letting the innocent joy between us
Become one of its casualties?

I don't understand.
 I don't know how to let go.
 And I can't call my dear friend
To help me...

Because that would be you.